Monday 5 September 2011

A 15-year old, Thaer, serves time in prison – after his father……


15 year-old Thaer returned home after three months in prison during August 2011  ….for throwing stones….   “Soldiers came at two in the morning, took me outside my house and beat me up,” Thaer relates. “They pushed me into the (Army) jeep, and I lie on the floor while a soldier kicked me all the way.”  Thaer was interrogated many times by different people before being transported to prison and going to court. His only consolation in prison was that he was able to meet and be with other prisoners (about 70) from his home town of Azzun in the West Bank.

Palestine child arrested - Courtesy of www.occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com
 But years prior to this, Thaer’s father, Hassan, had been incarcerated several times. “My work permit to work in Israel had also been cancelled which meant financial hardtimes for me family of six”, Hassan said. 

YoungThaer continues his story:  “And while I was in prison,” he further explained, “soldiers came and harassed the family, one time saying they were from the UN.  When the soldiers were let into the house, they put a gun to my mother’s head and asked her where the family kept the weapons. The soldiers then searched the house, finding no weapons, but still caused a lot of damage to the house.”

Soldiers have vandalized the house and threatened the family many times. “One time a female soldier grabbed my four year old brother, and said “I will put you in prison just like your father”.

Hassan’s wife explained: “The soldiers kept on trying to persuade the boy’s father to become their collaborator, but Hassan refused.”

Thaer was interrogated many times.  His lawyer’s advice was that he should admit to throwing stones in order to shorten his ordeal. The family followed the lawyer’s advice and Thaer was sentenced to a 1000 NIS fee (about $290) and 3 months in prison which could have been longer. He turned 15 years old in prison, but now can celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment