Saturday 13 August 2011

Israeli Settlers as harrassing immigrants among Palestinians


 My fellow EA Eva nearby produced this hauntingly real story about settler incursions in her village of Yanoun.  Read about it on:  http://evaulland.wordpress.com/2011/08/09/leave-us-alone-with-the-arabs-we-know-the-job-english-version/
 
Sunday morning. The rooster’s been up for a while, still it’s only 5:55 am when my telephone rings. It’s Rashed, the mayor here in Yanoun. “Settlers!”, is all he says, and that means: get dressed, bring your cameras – in a hurry!
One of the soldiers looking after the settlers private car.. EAPPI-colleague, Chris is observing
Outside, we meet two settlers and four soldiers. I ask one of the soldiers what’s going on, and he answeres: “No problem, they’re with us”. The two settlers are actually accompanied by four soldiers carrying army rifles.....   [READ ON!]

                                          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
During my visits to one settler-surrounded valley of Wadi Qana, I benefited from the Mayor's recent video.... about Settlers (oh....and Army)  removing somebody else's olive trees....!  The lush valley of Wadi Qana seems to be their playground......

YouTube entry re Soldiers and Bulldozers in Wadi Qana:    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WknkVE9KWrA

Carol with uprooted olive tree earlier protected by tyres
In the lush olive groves of relatively well-watered Wadi Qana in Qalqiliya District of the Palestinian West Bank, soldiers and immigrants work together to dislodge, thieve, and harrass the long-resident farmers. The 'village' is surrounded by hill-top settlements of new Israelis "who want us just to go away and live somewhere else", says the Mayor Nazim Salman. "I have watched these settlements grow; I have watched those Settlers come down with their bulldozers and 4-wheel drive trucks to uproot young olive and fruit trees."  But why? I ask. Silly question.  "Because they think this is their land!" he retorts.  "Even the Israeli army protects them, not us Palestinians!"  So, will you just leave this encroached area, I ask.  "Never. Never. This is my father's land, and my grandfather's land.  Noone could even buy my land to get me out!!"

Would a "one-state solution" to the 'Palestinian/Israeli question' enable immigrant Settlers from Russian and former East European states to live together 'harmoniously'??

No comments:

Post a Comment