Monday 6 June 2011

RIP to double bassist Basil Moses

I seem to spending alot of writing time.....writing obituaries... about notable dons in the South African jazz music industry. I'm now counting some 12 souls who have departed for higher callings, within the last 18 months (since December 2009 starting with Winston Mankunku).  Most of these lovelies were Cape Town-based, the most recent being one of my heart-throbs, Basil Moses. In those days of late 1990's, there was a relative dearth of live jazz in Cape Town on Saturday afternoons, which motivated me to drive some 40 kms to hear The Four Sounds perform in a dark, bit dungy hotel in Athlone between 4-8pm on Saturday afternoons.  I still recall Basil's brother, Cliffe, (both who founded the Sounds)  remarking that 'there's someone from the Strand here', noting a car registration plate...which was mine.  I listened in awe to Cliffe play guitar, and his brother, Basil, plunk double bass, along with two other musicians, and the occasional guest players. It was a highlight of my week. Basil, I will continue to hear you and your spirit...even in my dreams....I hope....  Rest in peace, dear bro.

No comments:

Post a Comment